FW: SC - Puck's marzipan

MAYER,ING,SUSANNE FEM BIG-AT Susanne.Mayer at vie.boehringer-ingelheim.com
Tue Mar 2 06:52:18 PST 1999

Hello there!

Some more suggestions:

> >Nym geriben oder geftoffen Mandel:
>
>  I would suggest past tense - take grated or pounded almonds

[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
Take ground  or pounded ..., ground like in a smal foodmill and pound would
be in a mortar  IMHO

 >der gar klein ist so er gestossen is -

> perhaps:  that are so fine you can pass them through a sieve?
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
which (der)  very small/ fine (gar klein) is (ist)  when/if  (so) he/it (er)
pounded (gestossen ist, past tense)
Mandel /almond is was maskulin in this context (der Mandel, he), today it is
feminine die Mandel (she)

> >so nym schmectend rosenwasser
>
> take 'good-tasting' rosewater
>
> >da wirk ei weiss von
>
> if this is really a von, we're missing a phrase here.  Could you
> check this bit, please?  Might it be 'ein'?  Then it would read 'work
> an egg white in', which makes sense to me.
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
it seems as if the passage is missing where we are told to take an egg and
then  take the eggwhite  and knead (wirk in this context)
it in

> >Thu schier soviel zucker darein als der Mandel.
>
> I blush to admit it, bit I don't know what schier means, offhand, and
> my dictionary is at home.  It sounds as though you had the right idea
> - Add as much sugar as almonds.  Will check and get back to you.
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
schier means two things pure and in the combination with soviel as much as
(weight/weight)
schier, adj.
1. sheer, pure (stupidity etc.).
2. adv. almost; s. unmöglich, all but impossible.
that's what a modern dictionary  says

> >Nym der oblat
>
> Nym is take, not make.  Is there a mould involved?  It sounds as
> though this may be the case.
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
correctly Nym is take and oblat (f. die oblat) is a wafer the same substace
as the consecrated wafers or hosts of the roman catholic churche are made
of.
In europe this sort of wafer is used as a sort of eddible paper under a lot
of cookies like the florentine (chocolate,nuts, orangepeel,... and hold
together with honey) so they stay in shape and dont stick on the surface of
the baking sheet or other surface

so  tis would red:
take a wafer

> >an die leg auff ein Papir.
>
> Lay a paper on the oblat (another word I'll check when I get home) -
> sounds as though you're rolling out on rice paper or similar?
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
could an be an un, then it would be und which means and
so this would read: and lay it (the wafer) on a paper

> >da mach du den marcipan
>
> make the marzipan
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
on this (da is  here for a location) make you the marzipan

> >gross wilt machen:  so nym die oblat
>
> [as] large [as] you want to make it??
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
there is a half sentence missing which was rather common
literal transltion is : big will (you) (wilt: will you) make: so take the
wafer
I would read it like: will you make it big then take the wafer

> >nez andertem
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
one  on another ?
this is a guess maybe you can find out more

> >leg ein ander oblat daran
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
lay an other wafer onto (it) (daran)

[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]

>  >es hafft anein ander
>
> Are these Fs or Ss?  Although pretty and 'authentic' in feel, it
> makes it really hard to read when long S gets written as an F.  After
> all, we don't alter most other lettering.
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
hafft (from hafften / to stick) would make sens
it sticks together

> >sonst zu grossen marcipan ist ein oblat zu klein
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]
(for an) otherwise  to big (amount of)  marcipan  one wafer is to small
I think they left some words out

> >nym dann ein inger fey hulzin oder eyfin
>
> Are the Fs here Ss too?  It would help me to know.
>
> >eins zweihen finger gross.
[MAYER,ING,SUSANNE    FEM BENAT]

for the rest I also have no guesses

> Let me check the rest of this at home, but we should be able to 'nut'
> it out between us.  In the meantime, well done!
>
> Cairistiona**********************************************************
> Dr. Ian van Tets
> Department of Zoology,       ph: +27 +21 650 3605 (w)
> University of Cape Town,                 650 3301 (fax)
> Rondebosch 7701                          689 7839 (h)
> Rep. of South Africa.     e-mail: ivantets at botzoo.uct.ac.za

I hope I could help a little

Yours Katarina

Ad Flumen Caerulum (Yes this nasty blue again:-) )
Vienna / Austria /Europe
No we are the ones WITOUT the Kangaroos!