SC - four and twenty blackbirds

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Tue Mar 2 19:26:07 PST 1999

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Cindy Renfrow wrote:

> The problem is that the flour used to fill the coffin hardened
> into a chalky mass.  I've chipped away at it, & finally managed to remove
> it all without breaking the bottom crust. (The bottom crust was not stiff
> enough, so I've popped it back in the oven at 400F.)  My question is, can
> my 6 lbs. of baked flour be re-used for another recipe?

Cindy,
	I don't know what to do with the flour either, but I have an idea
for an alternative- my grandma, when baking bottom crusts for custard,
etc, used to put a couple of inches of dried beans in the bottom. She had
a tin of beans set aside for that- once you've baked them, they're next to
impossible to cook up for soup. Could you fill a whole shell with beans,
enough to support the top crust? I also seen to remember that
Williams-Sonoma had some bean-like things made of ceramics that were for
the same purpose, though beans are alot cheaper.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731