SC - Cookout at Egils

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Tue Mar 2 21:04:27 PST 1999

On 3/1/99 10:59 PM you wrote:

>From:	stefan at texas.net (Stefan li Rous)
>Meistari Gerekr mentioned:
>> Ravensgard will be providing a variety of equipment including
>> cauldrons of various sizes, footed pots, tripod, brazier, portable
>> hearth, spit, norse frying pans, Dutch ovens, etc.  We may have a pit
>> fire also.
>
>Wish I was close enough to see this. I few questions if you don't mind:
>1) What is this portable hearth? I can imagine a big pile of rocks or
>   bricks, but I that wouldn't be very portable.
>2) How does a norse frying pan differ from any other frying pan? Was
>   it really used by the Norse? I was thinking Viking. Maybe you just
>   mean by modern Norse?

Hi Stefan, et. al.

1) Portable hearth - like Bear is building in his back-yard, eh?  A
bread/bake oven of bricks, finished with plaster or something... on a
trailer/wagon/cart or some such; the
build-the-fire-inside,-scrape-it-out-after-the-oven-is-heated type...  I
also have the file somewhere from the gentle in the West who's been
researching this... subject came up here last summer, and earlier, I
think.

2) Norse frying pan.  No, I mean period-- my husband dislikes the term
"viking" with its horned-helmed-drunk connotations, so we use "Norse" for
almost everything.

About 5 have been excavated, that we know of.  Color photo p. 142,
catalog entry #63 in _From Viking to Crusader_ - with measurements.
Drawings in Treckare (shudder), p. 180.  References in Roesdahl's _Viking
Denmark_.

Gerek used the dimensions from the one in Viking/Crusader, says it's the
most complete, and simplest one he's seen.  Handle 36", 1/2" square
stock.  "Pan" is an 11" circle of about 16 g. mild steel (educated guess,
from what we can tell about the excavated ones; also the heaviest gauge
our Beverly shear will cut); the edge is dished up about 1/4".  Connected
to the handle with a central rivet.  We don't know if the pan was
supposed to rotate around the rivet, ours mostly does't, and G says based
on the size of the rivet-head on the excavated ones, probably not.

We've cooked bacon, sausages and pancakes over a fire in camp, with very
good results.

3) We'll see how it goes, maybe post pics after the fact next summer,
8-).  If we do, will notify the list.

Chimene & Gerek