SC - Salmon recipe with beer

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Mar 3 14:17:05 PST 1999

> From Gervase Markham's The English Huswife:
>
> To seeth fresh Salmon.
>
> Take a little water, and as much Beere and Salt,
> and put thereto Parsley, Time, and Rosemarie, and
> let all thes boyle together; then put in your
> Salmon, and make your broth sharpe with some
> Vinigar.
>
> My redaction:

<snipped>

It's a lovely period recipe but I do wonder about your
redaction. Basically the period recipe is calling for
making a rich broth of beer, herbs, salt and vinegar
then poaching the fish.

There's no oil or pepper mentioned and I do wonder about
the use of even a high sided jelly roll pan to poach
fish in.

Please believe that I'm not flaming or attacking you
but this is one of the simpler period recipes and do
wonder how you came about with this redaction. Did you
try it following Markham's recipe and find it lacking?

> Huette

Yours,

Gunthar