SC - Welser marzipan part 1 (long) was Re: Puck's marzipan

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Sat Mar 6 07:00:00 PST 1999

I've been following this thread with great interest but haven't commented
since most all of my books are still in storage. I did have Sabina Welserin
on my hard drive and remembered that there was also a marzipan on wafer
recipe in it. There is a confusing section about the box, which I do not
completely understand, maybe it's to store the finished marzipan?

The second recipe I've included just as an example of baking a marzipan
confection on paper.
I'm including the German in a second post as it's pretty long

Valoise

22   If you would make good marzipan

	First take a half pound of almonds and soak them overnight in cold well
water, take them out in the morning. Next pound them well until they become
oily, pour a little rose water on them and pound them further. When they
become oily again, then pour a little more rose water thereon. Do this
until they no longer become oily. And pound the almonds as small as
possible. After that take a half pound of sugar, pound not quite all of it
in, leaving a little left over. Next, when the almonds and sugar are
pounded well together, put them in a bowl, take the lid from a small box,
loosen the rim completely, so that it can be detached and put back on
again, however leave the lid and the rim together.  Take wafers and make
them about as wide as a pastry shell, very round. Spread the almond paste
described above with the fingers onto the wafers, moistening the fingers
with rose water and dipping the almond paste into the sugar, which you have
kept in reserve. After that, when you have spread it out evenly with your
hands, take the sugar that you have reserved and sprinkle it through a
sieve evenly over the marzipan. And take a small brush and dip it in rose
water and sprinkle the marzipan overall, so that the sugar is dissolved.
Then let it bake. Check it often, so that it is not burnt. It should be
entirely white. The amount of a half pound is necessary, so that the oil
remains.

51   Almond chanterelles

	Pound the almonds, as you would to make marzipan, put sugar thereon, but
not too much, take after that the chanterelle mushroom mold, clean it and
take a small brush, dip it in almond oil and brush the mold with it, also
with a brush of rose water. And put the almond paste into the mushroom mold
and blow through the tube [so that the almond mushroom falls] onto a sheet
of paper, and let it bake in a tart pan and sprinkle it with starch flour,
then they will be white.