SC - Citrus Fruit History (long)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Mar 8 12:32:47 PST 1999

At 9:08 AM -0500 3/8/99, Tollhase1 at aol.com wrote:
>I must confess that I have had both dishes at several feasts that I have gone
>to, that I did not check my sources.

It is a  mistake to assume that things are period merely because they are
done in the SCA. The Society has some very good people in almost any
field--cooking, shoe making, armor, garb, etc. But the average level of
authenticity is pretty poor, although I think gradually improving. Even
now, I would guess that a sizable majority of all dishes served at SCA
feasts are not based on any period recipe.

I will be pleasantly surprised if you find a period recipe for Hummus bi
Tahini--I have been looking for one for quite a long time.

If you want period Islamic recipes, incidentally, you can find quite a lot
of them in the Miscellany, which is webbed at:

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University