SC - [Fwd: [Apicius] old cheese]

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Mon Mar 8 23:31:01 PST 1999

- --------------AB6F211B90EE741F840B3157

With the kind permission of Bill, but i havent gotten an
answer back from ba085 yet...
margali

- --------------AB6F211B90EE741F840B3157

Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 05:05:04 -0600
To: Apicius-L <Apicius at onelist.com>
From: Bill Thayer <petworth at suba.com>
Subject: [Apicius] old cheese

From: Bill Thayer <petworth at suba.com>

Cleaning out some mail folders, I find this, which might be of interest to
some on this list. The thread is from Romarch late April 97 if anyone wants
to dredge all of it up from their archives; there may well have been more
to it.

>> I am currently doing research for a study on The History of Cheese.
>> Preliminary research says that by the time of the Roman Empire cheese was a
>> strong staple food and that many individual houses had a special cheese
>> making room as well as space for storage.
>>     I am looking for information about the consumption of cheese and
>> cheese-making during Ancient Roman times.  Thanks for any help you may
>> render.  Much appreciated.
(unfortunately, I didn't keep the sender's name but their e-mail was
mailto:ba085 at lafn.org)

1.
>Ah, Silurian Rarebit round the camp fire! Columella (viii,8) is
>fragrantly packed with information on Roman cheese making, and
>ceramic cheese presses are comparatively common finds on Roman
>military sites (there was a time when I couldn't dig a hole in the
>ground without finding one of the pesky things). I have a photo of
>one of these on a forthcoming Web site I have been working on
   >Mike Bishop

2.
>From a literary perspective some good information and
>references appear in E. J. Kenney, ed. and trans.,
>*The Ploughman's Lunch: Moretum, a Poem Ascribed to
>Virgil*, Bristol: Bristol Classical Press, 1984.
   >John M. McMahon
   >mcmahon at maple.lemoyne.edu

BT

We are proud as punch of our new web site!
http://www.onelist.com
Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services
The best antique Roman recipes are at: http://www.home.ch/~spaw1087/orgy

- --------------AB6F211B90EE741F840B3157--