SC -found recipe apple orange tart

WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com
Tue Mar 9 06:50:27 PST 1999

In a message dated 3/7/99 10:34:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, Tollhase1 at aol.com
writes:

<< for a tarte of apples and orange pilles.  take your orenges and lay them in
 water a day and a night, then seeth them in faire water and honey and let
 seeth till they be soft;  then let them soak in the sirrop a day and a night:
 Then take forth and cut them small and then make your tart and season your
 apples with sugar, synamon and ginger and put  in a piece of buttar and lay a
 course of apples and between the same course of apples a course of orenges
and
 so, course by course, and season your orenges as you seasoned your apples
with
 somewhat more sugar, and lay on the lid and put it in the oven and when it is
 almost baked, take Rose water and sugar and boyle them together till it  be
 somewhat thick, then take out the Tart. and take a feather and spread the
rose
 water and sugar on the lit and let it not burn.

I just did six of these for a feast two weekends ago.  Here's what I did:

We sliced the oranges first.  The soaking instructions in the original recipe
seem to refer to use of Seville oranges, and for those bad boys, believe me,
you need to do the soaking steps.  But I used Valencias (hey, I live in
Florida, and they're cheeeeeep!)  So we sliced them about 1/4" thick, popped
out the seeds, then set the whole mess in water and honey, simmering about two
and a half hours until I could easily pierce the rinds with my fingernails.
By the time they're done simmering, you have real limp slices that readily
fall apart into pieces, so no chopping is necessary.  I used Granny Smith
apples, peeled, quartered, cored, then sliced each quarter into four slices.
Toss the apple slices in the sugar/spice mix to coat, then layer them up.
Apples, then oranges, then apples, then oranges, then apples.  I painted the
rosewater & sugar on the lids before they went in the oven.  Then bake for an
hour at 350.  These were wonderful, and got rave reviews from the feasters.
The only complaint I had was that there were too many desserts to choose from
(dessert course also included rice pudding, warden pie, and almond tarts).
The pies were equally tasty Sunday morning, when some folks decided to have
dessert for breakfast.  Great pies.  The orange/apple flavors were both
discernible, but neither was overwhelming.  Yummy stuff.

As soon as I get back from this latest road trip, I'll post my Elizabethan
feast which was served at Cutlasses & Corsairs, hosted by the Shire of
Castlemere.  It was an experimental feast, and was well received.  Will post
all the recipes, helpful hints, and lessons learned as soon as I can.  Whew.
21 dishes in four courses for 120 people.  Certifiable.  ;-)

 <<For feast (making lots of these) I plan on altering the recipe slightly.  I
 will use Marmalade instead of boiling the oranges and season them with honey.
 I will cut up a couple of oranges per pie and mix with the marmalade.>>

You can do up the oranges well in advance.  Sitting for a few days in their
own juices certainly won't hurt them, and the effect of the finished product
is pretty stupendous.  I'd be interested to hear how this marmalade experiment
turns out, however.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother