SC - Salmon (was: meat and seafood marinades)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Mar 9 17:12:13 PST 1999

At 12:40 AM -0600 3/6/99, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>Elizabeth/Betty Cook recently gave a redaction for a broiled salmon steak:
>
>> Here is a 15th-c. English salmon recipe, good and not too complicated:
>>
>> Salmon roste in Sauce
>> Two Fifteenth Century p. 102
>
><snip>
>> And then take vynegre, or vergeous, and pouder ginger, and cast
>> there-to;
>
>> 1 3/4 lb salmon         3/4 t cinnamon          1/4 c red wine vinegar
>> 3/4 c white wine        1 medium onion, 6 oz    1/4 t ginger
>
>Isn't the original actually saying "vinegar or verjuice"? If this is
>the case and you intentionally left the possibility of verjuice out,
>why? Was it because it is not normally available? Or you don't think
>there is a big taste differance between verjuice and vinegar? But
>from the descriptions here of verjuice being from green grapes or
>other fruits, is red wine vinegar close to the taste of verjuice?

I left the verjuice possibility out in my version because we haven't tried
it that way yet, not because I think it a bad idea. If we are substituting
between verjuice and vinegar we usually use twice as much verjuice as we
would vinegar, since the vinegar is stronger. I would expect some taste
difference doing it with verjuice, but not an enormous difference.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook