SC - Is beans beans?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 10 15:46:11 PST 1999

Aelfwyn at aol.com wrote:

> Help! As part of a feast we will be cooking for Northern Lights on March 20, I
> will be doing No. 31 from Guter Spise; Ein Spise von Bonen
> As Alia Atlas translated this, the recipe called for "green beans", the
> redaction I'm working back from used carrots because of unavailability of fava
> beans. I want to use beans, but have not been able to find favas either. Would
> this recipe have been made from the whole bean (bean and pod for want of
> better botanical terms) or from dried beans like the inside or seed part? What
> I'm getting at, the long way, is; would the dish be more like the original
> intent by using string beans or dried beans? If dried, what type?
> Aelfwyn

The green beans specified in the recipe are probably fresh young favas,
shelled from the pod, as opposed to dried favas, which are usually dried
when mature, with a color and flavor roughly similar to chestnuts, if a
bit less sweet. Depending on how the recipe treats them, your best bet
might actually be frozen green lima beans, if you can't get the genuine article.

> BTW I was the poster about alcohol used in cooking at a DRY (public school)
> site. I had the person handling our contract with the school ask and the reply
> was "all the alcohol boils off in cooking, so as long as no one is drinking
> it, cooking with it is fine by us" No way am I gonna go into all this list
> covered in regard to that issue, just use my wine and beer AND list them on
> the posted recipes!

That should be fine. You might specify if the wine is treated with
sulfates (it most likely has), and that it has been boiled in the
cooking. The great majority will not have problems with this, and those
with unusual sensitivities to wine, real or imagined, or any other
difficulties with consuming it, can act accordingly.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy