SC - marzipan mold material -- pfifferling

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 10 15:51:56 PST 1999

Thomas Gloning wrote:

> > The word in Sabina Welserin is Pfifferling. I assumed that it was the same as the modern usage, but there is always the chance that the terminology has drifted. Anyone know if the Early Modern High German use of that particular noun was different than today? <

> On the other hand some
> glossaries of the 15th century put together the word "pfifferling" with
> more general terms in latin like "boletus", which meant (I assume, don't
> quote me) something like 'edible mushroom'. There are even entries like
> "tuberes pfyfferling" (lat. _tuber_, 'truffle').

Hmmm. Boletus is a genus commonly represented among edible mushrooms by
boletus edulis, characterized by tube-shaped spore structures, instead
of gills under the cap. Commonly called Cepes in French, Porcini in
Italian, and Steinpilze in German, all modern versions of the respective
languages. I can't say if this holds true in archaic versions of the
languages in question.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --