SC - Names (OT)

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Thu Mar 11 17:07:36 PST 1999

- -Poster:  Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>my last name gets all kinds of mispronounciations and spelling
>(Farrell, Saross, Sarog, to give a few).  Even spelling things out doesn't
>help to correct things.

I get this too.  My mundane name Holtom more often than not gets destroyed by
well meaning people.  Usually they think it's Holton, but I've been Holsworth,
Holstein, Hilton, Holtown, Houlton, Hoho (which was totally stupid) and Almond
(???).

Don't people know their Old English when they see it? ;-)

Living in Connecticut, I also hear the English place names pronounced
differently.

For example: Norwich - in Britain we'd pronounce it "Norrich" is pronounced
"Norwich" here (with the "w" pronounced).  Also the river Thames which of
course is pronounced "Tems" in Britain is cheerfully pronounced "Thaimes"
here.

Elysant