SC - Cooking over embers -- stove equivalent?

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Mar 12 07:43:38 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 12 Mar 99,, that WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/11/99 8:28:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, Brighid
> writes:
>
> <<  The instructions are to cook it in
>  the casserole dish with herbs and a small amount of liquid over the
>  coals/embers ("brasas"). >>
>
> Sounds suspiciously like poached salmon.  You can do it in the oven, but
> stovetop works best.  Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce
> heat & simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes, or until you can loosen the
> middle bone (if using salmon steaks) or the flesh is bright orangey-pink
> and flakes in big chunks.

I thought so at first, but I read through the entire fish section of the
_Libro de Guisados_.  There are 6 primary methods listed for
cooking fish: spit-roasted ("asado"), grilled on gratings ("en
parrillas"), fried ("fritos"), in pastry ("en pan"),  in casserole ("en
cazuela"), and boiled ("cocido").

Of these, "cocido" seems to correspond directly to poaching.  The
fish is cooked with water and salt and sometimes oil.  Herbs and
other things may be added for flavoring.  Many of the recipes for
this method specify that the water is to be boiling before the fish is
added.

Fish done "en cazuela", on the other hand, is placed in the
casserole with spices, herbs, and a small amount of liquid: verjuice
or orange juice and/or oil.  It is then cooked on the embers or in the
oven.  Several of the recipes specify that the casserole must be
tightly covered, and if it is not, it should be cooked in the oven.  I
imagine that this is to ensure that the fish is exposed to heat on
top, since it is apparently not covered by the liquid.

> Depending on the wood used to create the embers, the heat of the embers
> will vary, sometimes considerably.  This dish would be watched constantly,
> and the doneness of the fish would tell the cook when to pull it off the
> coalbed.

Hmmm... maybe at a gentle simmer, tightly covered?

> Walk in peace,
> Wolfmom

Thank you for your suggestions.

Brighid