SC - Names (OT)

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Fri Mar 12 10:18:30 PST 1999

At 20:07 11-3-99 -0500, Elysant wrote:
>For example: Norwich - in Britain we'd pronounce it "Norrich" is pronounced
>"Norwich" here (with the "w" pronounced).  Also the river Thames which of
>course is pronounced "Tems" in Britain is cheerfully pronounced "Thaimes"
>here.

I heard somewhere that it was pronounced as spelt in Britain, too, until
Prince Albert came along with his German accent - everyone else started
saying "Tems" to emulate him.

At 07:45 12-3-99 -0500, Faoiltighearna wrote:
>Another good one here in Connecticut is "Norfolk", pronounced by the locals
>as "Norfork".

The Norfolk in Nebraska is also pronounced "Norfork."  The one in Virginia,
on the other hand, usually seems to be pronounced "No-f**k."

Anybody ever been to "Warshington," Iowa?

At 08:38 12-3-99 -0500, Elysant wrote:
>Then of course there's the habit of missing out the "t" in the middle of
>words ending in "n" and replacing it with a gulping sound.  New Britain
>becoming  New Bri(gulp)n for example. ;-)

Or as Aaron Elkins put it, "The English, with their habit of ignoring the
middle syllables of words...."

At 08:45 12-3-99 EST, Mordonna wrote:
>How about a really simple name like Mary?  Is it "MAY ree" or is it "Merry"?

Eh?  "Mary" and "merry" (and "marry") all sound alike to me....

>Of course, everyone knows Georgia has four syllables, no need to even discuss
>it.

Nonsense.  Two syllables: JAW-juh.

8)

Alasdair mac Iain

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie  [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and
in chief two mullets sable