SC - meat & milk separation

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 16:34:51 PST 1999

The rabbis had long ago decreed that in so many cases one could not be sure
where the milk came from and where the meat came from. (very few people
slaughet their own meat, milk their own cows.  There were breeders and daiymen
even "back then". So to be VERY sure that there was no mix up.  It was long
ago decreed that all meat and all dairy must be treated seperately.  No even
though some of you might say, well I  KNOW that sheep milk and say, beef
hamburger is not "reltated"  (etc alon this line of thinking)  Please
understand that rabbis do something (lang ago as well as today) called,
basicly, "FENCES AROUND THE TORAH"  that is:  to be ABSOLUTLY CERTAIN to be
sure of performing what ever mitzvah (deed) was required, and performing it
correctly; one does it very stringently.  That is to say, one "goes the extra
mile", one takes that "extra step.  (slipping into yeshiva sing-song here...)
If one shold not cook a kid in it's mother's milk....to be ablsolutly certain
tht you don't you go the extra step of not cooking ANY kid in ANY milk....
does that make sense to you?
Phillipa Seton