SC - SC Eggs Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 16 20:03:33 PST 1999

Shall we dance...on a bright cloud of confusion, shall we fly?

Perhaps I was unclear and confused people in my haste to get out of the
house this afternoon. What is known as paraffin in the British Isles is
what Americans call kerosene. It comes in screw-top tins and is used for
a paint solvent and for hurricane lanterns, that sort of thing. What is
called paraffin in the USA is a petroleum-based wax commonly used in
sealing jelly jars. Both terms are correct. Both definitions are true.
It simply depends which side of the Atlantic you're on.

Adamantius

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/16/99 5:46:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> snowfire at mail.snet.net writes:
>
> << raffin is the same as kerosene. Smelly liquid type stuff. I've also seen
>  Paraffin Gauze used as a dressing.   >>
>
> I beg to differ. I just went to my cupbaord and pulled out a box of clearly
> labeled 'Parrafin. I t is NOT kerosene but rather wax. I use it to  seal my
> jams and jellies among other things. I can understand the difference betwenn
> British and American English so far as  ptrol and gas is concerned but I have
> a real problem imagining that parrafin wax could be mistaken for kerosene  by
> any one in any language. :-0
>
> Ras

- --
Phil & Susan Troy