SC - Kosher Gelatin

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Wed Mar 17 17:42:03 PST 1999

Margo Lynn,

I am curious what the kosher marking is on Jell-o gelatin.  THe last time I
looked (Monday) it was a K.  K is questionable in my unbringing and by
those orthodox rabbis I consult.  I am curious about this orthodox rabbi
that you note.

A few years ago I researched and wrote a Passover article for Kashrut
magazine.  I learned a lot about what is and isn't kosher and what
Hashcachas (kosher markings) can be trusted.  The orthodox sources told me
specifically that they will only certify the gelatin kosher if it is not
made from an animal.  They would not even allow it from one that is kosher.
I will check this information with my brother-in-law.

Sindara