SC - St. David's Day recipes

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Thu Mar 18 06:39:22 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>Elysant, thanks for sharing the recipes with me.  But... what's a swede?
>Thanks, Leanna

A Swede for us in Wales is what you call a Rutabaga :-)  The vegetable
originally, so I understand, came over to us from Sweden as a "Swedish
Turnip" a couple of centuries ago.  The name was subsequently shortened to
Swede.  We tend to use them in stews, and also mashed up with butter and
pepper, or mashed together with potatoes which we call "Potch Erfyn" Erfyn
being our word for Swede.

 Elysant
 PS We also use Swedes to make Jack-o-lanterns out of vs pumpkins at
 halloween! :-)