SC - Allergies and children's behavior -OT -OOP

Sharon R. Saroff sindara at pobox.com
Fri Mar 19 07:18:08 PST 1999

I can empathize with this situation.  Four years ago I went to an
ENT/Allergist in of all places Erie,PA who was the best I have ever gone
to.  He discovered that the symptoms I was experiencing of chronic fatigue,
mood swings, and memory problems were all due to allergies.  I have a mild
allergy to wheat, corn, chocolate, and garlic.
He placed me on a rotation diet which while it is hard for me to stick to
sometimes has completely eliminated these problems.  I watch my toddler now
for similar symptoms.  So far if I keep her away from corn she is fine.

We are used to thinking that allergies result in breathing problems, hives
and in extreme cases hospital visits.  We need to broaden our outlook and
become more informed.

Just a note for those who are not aware of this.  Yellow 5 is an athsma
trigger.  I chiurgeon told me that one year when I was a waterbearer at
Pennsic.  I have a severe allergy to this and most other food dyes so I
watch labels for these when I do a feast.  You'd be surprised about where
they put some food dyes.

Sindara

At 09:06 AM 3/19/99 -0500, you wrote:
>My Dear lady, I am afraid I must disagree with you.
>some allergic medicine textbooks state clearly that there here are seven
distinct types of allergy, only two or or three types are "Immunoglobin
Mediated" (the traditional rash, anaphylaxis, etc., symptoms), Some of
those cause no "EXTERNAL" symptoms, but may cause hives and swelling in
INTERNAL ORGANS, such as liver, kidneys (sound familiar), or the brain of
susceptable children.
>Because such allergies cannot be tested for by the traditioal "scratch
test", they are often not clinnically testable without doing an extensive
and sustained "double blind palcebo controlled" study. That is not
something that a doctor can do in one or two half hour office visits, so
they go undiagnosed, because of the limited resources a doctor has for such
a diagnosis.
>Read the following book:
>"Is This Your Child? : Discovering and Treating Unrecognized Allergies in
Children and Adults"
>by Doris J. Rapp
>
>It saved my sanity. I thought my son was going to have to be put on a
heavy Ritalin dosage for his life.

>When I did the recommended "Elimination diet" foods study, I found that he
had a surprisingly common "behaviorally exhibited" food allergy to CORN and
CORN PRODUCTS! (like Dextrose, corn syrup, corn starch, etc.)  If my son
stays on his diet and doesn't cheat, he is as sweet and normal as one can
expect a ten year old boy to be, If he cheats, he is Violent, whiney,
combative, and has no inpulse control.
>If he eats a corn product, I can see the change happen. He gets scolitic,
pasty faces, dark circles under the eyes, bright red and hot ears ( A
characteristic marker for his type of allergy), and rapidly becomes fidgety
to the point of violent behavior. All in about two minutes. Real Scary
"Jeckyll and Hyde"  stuff, but he shows no hives.

>A frequent indicative factor in such allergies is the presence of other
more traditionally exhibited allergies, and/or athsma.
>Both of which my son has.
>
>Perhaps you need to see another allergist.
>

>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Jeff Gedney
>Software Quality Assurance Engineer
>Voice Recognition Technologies
>Dictaphone, USA
>Mailto:JGedney at Dictaphone.com

>On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au wrote:
>
>> Maybe the hall is very red food colouring allergy aware.  If you serve red
>> punch where there are children about it could end up pretty messy, with
>> reactions including uncontrolled violence, hysteria, and generally running
>> around high as a kite.  Red food colouring is a pretty common allergy.
>
>Personally I would suspect the sugar , not the dye. However, when the dye
>generates this kind of a response , the medical-types call it a
>_sensitivity_. The group my allergist is in is pretty adamant that a true
>food _allergy_ involves an anaphalactic response. Hives, wheezing, etc.
>Iam am _sensitive_ to fresh ginger- I'll spend the rest of the day in the
>bathroom, but I am _allergic_ to my beloved avocadoes, which nearly killed
>me last time I partook. The throat swelling shut was especially scary.
>
>'Lainie (who will eat an entire bowl of guacamole if she ever needs to
>commit suicide)
>-
>Laura C. Minnick
>University of Oregon
>Department of English
>-
>"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
>Bodleian."
> Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731

  !

  !