SC - Ideal vs. practical

Anna Potts estria at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 23:30:54 PST 1999

>So, the question is, is it better to give the "flavor" of a medieval
>dish, than to forego it altogether due to expense/time/unavailability,
>etc?
>
>And, yes, if I were making the dish for an A & S competition, or
>something along those lines, I'd spend the extra money, and buy the
>"real thing."
>
>I'm curious as to how the cooks in the SCA feel about this.
>
>Fiondel
>15 days 'til the Coronation feast and I'm not READY!

It's better to at least make an attempt at something close to period
rather than not even trying. Not all of us can afford to play totally
period, so we do the best with what we have.  Most of the food that my
camp eats isn't from period recipes, but it is a type of food that did
exist at that time.  Sometime's it's just not practical to be "totally"
period, and this goes for everything SCA, not just cooking (just as the
mother of four, two of which are six year old twins, in my group, they
often need to "fake it" due to practicality of having kids).

Estria