SC - hypocras

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Sat Mar 20 11:32:47 PST 1999

recipe please, i don't have a copy......
margali

> I made some hypocras about 2 weeks ago from Robert May's recipe in The
> Accomplisht Cook.  (This is the 1st hypocras I've tried with cream.)
> There's only a slight film of spice at the bottom.  The flavor is very much
> improved, spicy with a rich creamy aftertaste, & very much more pleasant to
> drink.
> I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this & had the same thing happen?
> Also, what happened to the cream?
>
> Regards,
>
> Cindy

Best guess? I would say that cream is water, lipids, assorted chemicals and if
you leave cream unattended in its pure state it will first get thick as it
sours, then the solids will settle out leaving a clear liquid on top of the
layer of solids, so chances are since the cream was dilluted with the other
ingredients , the settling out was probably accomplished by the milk protein
bonding with the other solids, and the resulting polymer precipitating out into
the thin layer of stuff at the bottom[the polymer will probably not be white, by
the way, but a brownish color]