SC - hypocras

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sun Mar 21 09:57:56 PST 1999

<snip>

>Um, elves and fairies (the same ones who cause milk to sour, of course)
>took it back to the cow?

My suspicion, too.

>Question: is the clear aged beverage still as thick as it was when you
>first made it? Was there anything like clarifed butter floating or
>suspended in lumps in the bottle?

There were no lumps at all, nor were there any obvious layers, just a thin
film of spice dust that arose from the bottom when I poured a glassful. The
beverage wasn't thick like eggnog anymore.  But it wasn't quite as thin as
wine, either.  It had a definite substance to it, and an aftertaste of
cream.

Well, I guess you all just have to come taste it for yourselves.  We're
having chicken for dinner tonight, so you're all welcome to come for dinner
& sample the hypocras.  (I'm in northern NJ, btw, about an hour west of
NYC.)

>A good deal of the thickness of cream, and the whiteness, too, has to do
>with the fact that it is an emulsion. Emulsions will break into separate
>phases, oil and water, etc., under various cicumstances, acidity being
>one of them. I know, for example, that when you make syllabub and leave
>it overnight, it will often separate into a wine phase and a thick sort
>of whipped topping stuff on top. From your description the thick layer
>was not so much on top as totally absent...am I getting this right?

Yes.

If
>so, then I guess the whole emulsion thing isn't the explanation and I
>have no idea what happened.

Could the acidity of the wine have 'digested' (for want of a better word)
the cream?

>BTW, Cindy, I was pleased to see both of your books for sale at Kitchen
>Arts and Letters in New York City. I've never seen physical copies being
>sold by anyone outside of an SCA setting before. Congrats!

Thank you! :-)  I was very happy when the owner, Mr. Waxman, called & said
he liked TTEM.  I do have a few mundane vendors.  I've just posted a list
of all my vendors to my website:
http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/merchants.html

Cindy