OT British Food Meanderings - was Re: SC - Possible corned-beef substitutes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 23 03:47:54 PST 1999

snowfire at mail.snet.net wrote:

> I don't remember boiled mutton at our school...

Caper sauce, good lady, caper sauce. Either that or parsleyed white sauce...

> Lots of beef, and all sorts of pies and stuff, sausages, and potatoes with
> everything (stodge in other words).  Also all the desserts seemed to have
> custard on them... even the rice pudding (well OK you had to ask for it
> then);-)
>
> Elysant

You're reminding me of Geoffrey Willans' books about St Custard's
College: "Down With Skool", "How to Be Topp", "Nigel Molesworth's Gide
to the Atommic Age", and "Nigel Molesworth Back In the Jug Againe".
These feature frequent references to The School Cheese (somewhere in
between the School Song, the Old School Tie, and the Family Fruitcake,
this was a single, particular cheese that just would never end), the
ubiquitous rice pudding, and my favorite concept, The Piece of Cod Which
Passeth All Understanding (chiz chiz).

These books were illustrated by Ronald Searle, who then went and wrote
his own series about the Belles of St. Trinian's, probably better known
in the States: they made several movies based on them in the late
1950's/early 1960's. No interesting school food references in them,
though, AFAIK.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy