SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1313 - Amazon.com - ot

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sat Mar 27 18:58:15 PST 1999

Hello the list!

please be aware that this book will not be available from the publisher until
JUNE.

Amazon seems to have the habit of listing titles as soon as the publisher
sends them a catalog, whether they are really in stock yet or not.  As I
recall, they did the same thing with the Medieval Arab cooking title from
Prospect, which will --possibly-- be available in the fall (according to the
distributor who gets the books direct from Prospect.)

I hope that I don't sound like a whiner, and certainly getting a discount is
important--so many books, so little money-- but just as we buy our cloth and
pouches from SCA merchants, don't you think that supporting local booksellers
is a good idea?  Unless you want to have nothing but gigantic chains --  local
booksellers are struggling with enormous competition from chains and on-line
stores.  Just as you want to have "your" grocery or dairy that gives you
personal service and remembers your name, so you need your local bookseller.
Otherwise, the chain selects what you buy--they tell the publishers what won't
sell (and that they won't carry!)

Please excuse me if I seem heated about this; every week the booksellers'
newsletter lists bookstores that are closing: old, established, beloved ones
as well as newish (only 10 years old, say) stores.

Devra the Baker
Poison Pen Press -- the finest historical cookbooks (in print) in the Known
World