Fwd: SC - Validation and historical perspective

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Mar 27 19:31:22 PST 1999

Ras' comment:

>The Delectable Past, while being fairly well written and an easy read, shares
>the faults of most works on medieval cookery that were produced in the 60's.

inspires me to ask this assembly about John L. Anderson's "A fifteenth
century cookry boke".

In my project to compile a list-by-date of period sources, I got this on
InterLibrary Loan.  It's definitely a '60's production... the
illustration style looks like "Kiss Me Kate" (the  movie), but with
medieval, not renaissance subjects.

Anyway, there is only one sentence about the source, clear at the back.
And I quote:
     "Taken verbatim, except for errata, from the following material made
available by the Early English Text Society:  Harleian MSS 279 (about
1430 AD) and 4010 (about 1450 AD), in the British Museum, and Ashmole MS
1429, Laud MS 553 and Douce MS 55 (about 1450 AD), in the Bodleian
Library."

Now that list of sources looks exactly like "Two Fifteenth Century
cookery-books" title page, EXCEPT that my 2-15th says "Harl _4016_" (not
4010), and "Ashmole _1439_" (not 1429).

So, does Anderson's note have two typos in it, or are there actually,
somewhere a "Harl. 4010" and an "Ashmole 1439" that are also about
cookery?

I'm not crazy, 8-), I'm going to ask here first, before I consider
individually checking ca. 150 recipes from Anderson against the texts in
2-15th.  A couple I have checked do seem to duplicate the language from
2-15th exactly.

Thanks,
Chimene