SC - Re: Amazon.com - ot

S.Albert morgana at gci.net
Sun Mar 28 18:59:20 PST 1999

>>I hope that I don't sound like a whiner, and certainly getting a discount
>>is important--so many books, so little money-- but just as we buy our
>>cloth and pouches from SCA merchants, don't you think that supporting
>>local  booksellers is a good idea?

I'd concur if we had a "local" bookstore available. The last independent in
our town closed a couple years ago, leaving us with a small, insipid
Waldenbooks. Most of my books are special orders (can't find many
specialized cookbooks, heraldry books, and first edition hardback SF
locally), and the service at Waldonbooks was abominable. So I checked out
amazon.com. There I can get almost anything I want, quicker, and cheaper.
Works for me.

Not everyplace has "local" merchants. Or even stores that supply what you
need. We had to order linen for special garb from Berkeley because the last
store that carried anything like that was Pacific Fabrics (our last "local"
fabric store having gone out of business years ago) and they closed late
last year, leaving us with Joann's and stores that cater to quilters. We
even checked out Anchorage, 400 miles to the south: they had Joann's and a
natural fiber specialty store, where the most appropriate material would
have been dryclean-only light wool for $20/yard. As we needed 20 yards for
what we wanted to do, we passed...

I'd support "local" merchants, if I could.

Morgana

In the far reaches of the North, Fairbanks Alaska.

Morgana yr Oerfa, Baroness      *     Sharron Albert
Winter's Gate/Oertha/West       *     salbert at ptialaska.net
Per saltire gules and sable,    *     Babylon 5/science fiction
in pale two mullets and         *     (astrology/tarot)
in fess an increscent           *     I saw nothing unusual in the teacher's
and a decrescent argent.        *          lounge. --Bart Simpson