SC - Khushkananaj (was: Ideal vs. practical)

Mon Mar 29 14:34:44 PST 1999

> Also, perhaps the "White" flour was a blend of flours or flour and some
> preservative or ingredient that rendered it more white, and consequently
> added a leavening action, or from a specific preparation method?
>
> Is there a source for raw fresh flour?
>
> Brandu

	In general, period fine white flour is a well-cleaned, finely milled
flour of at least three boultings from very light wheat berries.  The best
modern equivalent I know of is King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour.  This
flour contains the wheat germ and has no preservatives.

	There are a number of local mills that produce limited amounts of
flour, usually as a historical recreation or for the health food trade.  If
you have one of these near you, you can get fresh flour from them.  Caveat:
You want stone ground.  Roller milling separates the wheat germ.

	By definition, flour is raw, until you cook it.  Once you coagulate
the gluten, the flour is no longer raw.  For practical purposes, there is no
difference between fresh and aged flour.  Professional bakers prefer aged
flours, because they have a more standardized moisture content.

	Should you get to reviewing the translation of the recipe, try to
find the terms used to describe sourdoughs and leavens.  It seems to me this
recipe would work if you substituted a fully proofed sourdough for the
flour.

	Bear