Basket Lunch (long) was: SC - A Slightly Insane Request

kat kat at kagan.com
Tue Mar 30 13:46:25 PST 1999

Renata asks:

> Soooooo, my clever friends -- any ideas on what would look impressive,
> sound (and eventually taste) mouth-watering, pack well, stand up to
> minamal refrigeration, feed 4-8 people, and (maybe) not be a huge
> undertaking? Period or close would be nice, too.

Renata:

Funny you should ask; my lord and I just did this last month at a local
Canton basket lunch auction.  It was extremely peri-oid but not *quite*
period... ;-)

Our menu, with only one hot dish:

Sallet
Blaunche Porrey (served hot)
Tartes de Bry
Saffron Rice
Cold chicken in Sawge
Shortbread (OK, I cheated; it was late and I was tired)
2 bottles of sparkling cider (OK, I *really* cheated)

The sallet was my version of a combination of the period recipes we have
for salad:  a leaf lettuce and baby spinach leaves, tossed with a
combination of chopped scallions, chives and other savory herbs, olive oil
and a nice wine vinegar, and garnished with edible flowers.  Definitely
peri-oid.

The blaunche porrey was my redaction of a recipe that appears in Pleyn
Delit.  I redacted it as leek soup; the PD recipe comes out as more of a
pottage, but I wanted a hot soup in case it was *really* cold out.

Tartes de Bry also came from PD.  I garnished the top with a few threads of
saffron for that "conspicuous consumption" look.

The saffron rice appears as "Potage of Rys" in "1000 Eggs, Vol. 1."  It
makes a superlative side dish and I use it a lot.

The recipe for Sawge I think was discussed recently on this list; I was
skimming posts but thought I saw it.  The version I used was in Pleyn
Delit.  I interpreted the dish as a sauce, to go on cold meat.  We simply
sliced cold chicken breast and spread the sauce over it.

The only thing that required refrigeration (it was a nippy day in any case)
was the chicken; everything else did fine in adequate shade.  One very
small cooler held the chicken and the sauce adequately.  The brie tarts can
be made up to 2 days ahead; refrigerate them until you leave for the event
and then just keep them in shade and cool.

Hope that helps!

	- kat