SC - krapfen baked in oil

grasse@mscd.edu grasse at mscd.edu
Mon May 3 07:03:15 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/2/99 1:12:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< Most obvious thing that comes to mind is the hairy/fuzzy melon, a.k.a.
 white-flowered gourd, a.k.a. long squash, which is apparently the
 medieval European cucurbit gourd.

 Adamantius >>

In this we must disagree. Medieval illuminations which show pictures of
'guords' most often illustrate them as long and skinny or bottle shaped or
cucumber shaped. The Italian ediblre gourd, the luffa gourd and the bottle
(or bird's house) gourd are all edible when young . These are the most likely
candidates.

On what evidence do your base your belief that fuzzy gourds from the Occident
would have been  used? Cariadoc also mentions fuzzy. I suspect that the
relative ease of finding that type in US markets is the major criteria for
your suggestion. Please correct me if I am wrong and provide greater details
supporting your position.

Ras