SC - Another observation on clean-up

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Mon May 3 11:53:26 PDT 1999

At 6:55 AM -0400 5/3/99, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
>Nancy Santella wrote:
>>
>> I was out in the swamp picking mint for Queens Rapier, Sat., and I was
>> planning how much Sekanjabin syrup to make when the thought accured to me,
>> what if you did the same thing with rose petals?  Would you have a useable
>> rose syrup?
>>
>> Anna
>
>I guess it would depend on whether you did it with vinegar, as with
>sekanjabin. I know you can buy rose syrup in most Middle Eastern
>groceries, and it's probably made pretty much the same way. I guess what
>I'm getting at is how much of the sekanjabin process you're talking
>about applying. Are we talking about just making a syrup cooked with
>rose petals, an extremely sweet rose "tea"? It _ought_ to work pretty well.

>From the 13th c. Andalusian cookbook:

The Recipe for Making a Syrup of Julep

Take five ratls of aromatic rosewater, and two and a half of sugar, cook
all this until it takes the consistency of syrups. Drink two ûqiyas of this
with three of hot water. Its benefits: in phlegmatic fever; it fortifies
the stomach and the liver, profits at the onset of dropsy, purifies and
lightens the body, and in this it is most extraordinary, God willing.

Syrup of Fresh Roses, and the Recipe for Making It

Take a ratl of fresh roses, after removing the dirt from them, and cover
them with boiled water for a day and a night, until the water cools and the
roses fall apart in the water. Clean it and take the clean part of it and
add to a ratl of sugar. Cook all this until it takes the form of a syrup.
Drink an ûqiya of this with two of hot water; its benefits are at the onset
of dropsy, and it fortifies the stomach and the liver and the other
internal organs, and lightens the constitution; in this it is admirable.

A Recipe for Making It by Repetition

Take the same, a ratl of roses or more, and place it in water to cover it,
boiling for a day and a night. Then take out the roses that are in the
water and throw them away, and go with the same quantity of fresh roses,
which are to be covered likewise with this water, after boiling it a second
time, and leave this also a day and a night. Throw away these roses
likewise, and put in others and treat them as before, and continue doing
this for ten days or more. Its benefit and the strength of its making are
solely in the manner of repeating. Then clarify the water of roses and add
to it as much sugar, and cook it until it takes the form of a syrup. It
reaches the limit in thinning and moistening the constitution, God willing.

Syrup of Dried Roses

Take a ratl of dried roses, and cover with three ratls of boiling water,
for a night, and leave it until they fall apart in the water. Press it and
clarify it, take the clear part and add it to two ratls of white sugar, and
cook all this until it is in the form of a syrup. Drink an ûqiya and a half
of this with three of water. Its benefits: it binds the constitution, and
benefits at the start of dropsy, fortifies the other internal organs, and
provokes the appetite, God willing.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/