SC - illusion food - cattails

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 3 22:33:17 PDT 1999

Greetings,

Elinor Fettiplace (nouvelle cuisine I know) gives a recipe for Violet Syrup.
I have included the recipe and my notes below in case anyone is interested.

Please note, that in later times (and in English) these concoctions are
referred to as Sirrops or Syrups not Sekanjabins.

Meliora.

Syrup of Violets Elinor Fettiplace (1602)
First make a thicke sirop of sugar and clarifie yt well, then take blew
violetts and picke them well from the whights then put them in the sirrop,
let them lye in yt 24 howres keepinge it warme in the meane time, then
straine these violetts out and put in fresh, so do 4 times then set them on
the fire, let them simper a good while but not boyle fast put in some juice
of limonds in the boyleinge then straine yt and leepe yt to your use.

1 pint water
1 pound sugar
4 pints (volume) of violet petals
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Find a large garden bed covered in purple violets.  Pick them for about 2
hours.  Spend the rest of the day taking the petals from the rest of the
flower head and removing the white part of the petal.

Once this is done, you will have approximately one pint in volume of violet
petals.  Mix the sugar and water and heat until the sugar dissolves.  Cool
slightly and add the violet petals. Leave in a warm place for 24 hours.

Strain these petals out of the mixture, warm briefly and add the next pint
of petals.  You would have spent most of this second day preparing this next
batch.  Repeat this twice more.

After you have strained the final batch of petals warm the mixture and add
one tablespoon of lemon juice.  simmer for ten minutes and then let cool and
bottle.