SC - Accomodating Vegetarians at Period Feasts

lilinah@grin.net lilinah at grin.net
Wed May 5 01:24:35 PDT 1999

	Question - I was reading a Maggie Black ( I think) redaction of a
tudor-ish recipe for rabbit. In the redaction it called for the rabbit to be
jointed, rubbed with onion and salt (some spices...I don't recall all off
the top of my head and I'm at work) then put in a pot with some redcurrants
and generally stewed.

	The original text said take a Pipkin, and some onions peeled and
some salt ( I think also spices)and rub on the rabbit, put into pot with
some currants..............etc.

	There seems to be no translation of the word 'Pipkin'. Is it a young
rabbit ( an alternative, like the word 'coney'); is it a specific stewing
pot; or might it be an apple, as in a Pipkin (variety)? Anyone happen to
know this one?

	I've disagreed with this books redactions before, where it seems to
have clearly missed ingredients - does this sound like another?

	It is an English heritage compilation hardback book - called
something like 10,000 years of cookery , covers from early  hunter/gatherer
through to Victorian.

	cheers,

	Karin