SC - medieval herbal/foral garderns

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Wed May 5 04:02:30 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Adamantius answered my questions about the cattails illusion food with:
> >
> > I assume the wooden skewer goes through the scallion and through the
> > sausage, so it is invisible, and you can use more scallion to cover the
> > other end of the skewer too. As for its effectiveness as an illusion, I
> > can only say the, uh, um, romantic lighting of most feast halls, and a
> > _small_ willful suspension of disbelief, probably make it a pretty good illusion.
>
> Oh! Now I see. Scallions must be thin, strawlike things rather than the
> larger, more bulbuous green onions I was thinking of. I was also thinking
> the cattails that I had seen had brown stems, at least on top.

Ah, the mysterious "everything in Texas is bigger" rule applies, eh?
(Awright, I'm teasing Stefan: in reality there is some
equivocation/confusion between scallions and shallots between American
regions, as well as a difference in common varieties/sizes of scalions
between different regions. In the Northeast part of the U.S., a scallion
is sorta like a large chive or small leek-shaped object, maybe 12-15
inches long, depending on trimming, if any, with a white bulb portion
about 2-3 inches long and 1/4 - 1/2 inches wide, with the rest being a
hollow green grassy stem/leaf structure. Some varieties are larger, and
occasionally called Texas scallions, but I assumed that was a marketing joke.

> This might work under low light conditions. Now to figure out how to
> do the lily-pads and the frog. Yes, on a sugar paste lake tinted with
> blue. hmmm.

Whatever floats your, uh, boat!

Adamantius
- --