SC - Accomodating Vegetarians at Period Feasts

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed May 5 05:35:00 PDT 1999

> And it came to pass on 4 May 99,, that Jennifer Casper wrote:
>
> > Please forgive me if this is a dumb question for I am a novice
> cook...but
> > what kind of lettuce? Yennet
>
> It's not a dumb question at all, m'lady.  Unfortunately, it's one to which
> do not have an answer.  I dabble at translation, and a bit of feast
> cookery now and then, but I know very little about historical varieties of
>
> plants.  Perhaps someone else can help??
>
> Brighid

Romaine (Cos) is period.  The Romans got it from the Greeks and apparently
spread it around Europe.

Somewhere in my notes I have a reference to the four types of lettuce which
could be found in French gardens in the 16th Century.  I'll see if I can
find it.

You might also check the Foods Section of Stefan's Florilegium at:

http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html

Bear