SC - BOUNCE scCitron and Potato

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed May 5 07:30:39 PDT 1999

Well, folks, I'm starting to move on setting up the butchering thing for
Pennsic, and in order to have an idea how much money I'll have to buy the
critter, whatever it is,
I need to know how many of you will be going to Pennsic and be willing to
attend the class and donate towards the critter, so post me privately- I
don't want to clog up the List.

What would be the preferred animal? I can do a pig, but I'm a bit reluctant
because of all the folks who don't eat pork for one reason or another-
Cariadoc in persona, for example, and some of our Jewish people, who may not
keep Kosher, but still don't eat pork, or milk with their meat, or whatever.
That would leave us with a lamb, a veal calf, or perhaps a goat. Any
preferences? I'd like to have a 100 lb animal- that would dress out to about
50 lbs, plus innards.

I'm also thinking of having to class open to anyone at Pennsic, and
including an invitation to the Potluck. I also thought that it might be cool
if class members took part of the meat home to camp with them, for
preparation for the potluck- period recipes only- I think I could, with the
help of you on the List, come up with some simple ones, ie limited in exotic
ingredients, for this purpose.

I, personally, will slaughter the animal- THAT, I WILL NOT have bungled- I
hate having animals suffer.

Thoughts, folks? I'm particularly interested  in what Alys, as class
coordinator, and Ras and Adamantius, who've both worked with me before have
to say, though of course I'm also interested in what anyone else has to say.
(But I won't let Ras near me with a knife ;-)

Alys, you've suckered me into teaching a class, if I can work it out- it's
all your fault ;-)

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour