SC - OT Dogs vs Cats...

Wendy penguin2 at telusplanet.net
Wed May 5 19:49:39 PDT 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/5/99 2:18:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> margali at 99main.com writes:
>
> << anybody know when they made the change from the wild
>  lettuice form to the sweet little things we grow now? >>
>
> At least by the Roman era.
>
> Ras

Depends on the variety, and what is meant by sweet little things.
Tacuinum Sanitatis illustrates lettuce as being leafy but not headed, as
I recall, whatever variety is meant. I did understand, though, Cos or
Romaine lettuce to be a variety that existed in period. Iceberg is
considerable more modern, having been introduced in the late 19th
century or later, I believe. I'm not sure about the various butterhead
varieties (i.e. Boston, Bibb, etc.).

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy