SC - The recipe for Libum

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Thu May 6 23:28:23 PDT 1999

Ras said:
> << And now I have this vision of vast herds of chickens darkening the primeval
>  plain...
>
>  MaggiRos >>
>
> You woundn't be too far off. Most of the urban/suburban denizens of the list
> are always forgetting that the MA were peoples by an agricultural society. I
> have absolutely no surprise at hearing that eggs were in the top 2 source of
> protien foods duing that era.

But Ras, Waverly did not say the eggs were in the top two protein foods, he
said they were main food or almost the only one in addition to meat. In
other words very little non-meat items were eaten.

> "During the Renaissance, eggs were the chief food (and in some places
> almost the only one) eaten in addition to meat. [wonder what he bases
> this on???]

While I guess I can see that for some places like Scotland, it still
seems unusual that almost no plant items were eaten. Particularly when
other sources I've read keep pointing to the importance of bread.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****