SC - accomodating vegetarians

Tollhase1@aol.com Tollhase1 at aol.com
Fri May 7 18:15:40 PDT 1999

LYN M PARKINSON wrote:

> >>I could possibly see "blank de syry" being interpreted as "white of
> Syria", but the other spellings seem closer to "desire", as in "something
> white that's desirable". Am I off track here?<<
>
> Not necessarily, Margritte.  There are numerous examples of the British
> habit of turning a foreign name or phrase into their own spelling, then
> attempting to make a recognizable name or phrase to identify it.
> Probably the same habit in other languages, if I knew them better.
>
> Petit gateaus becomes Petticoat Tails, for instance.

Tonight's my night for dithering...sorry. I'm reminded, though, of a
great scene in a British movie about an Indian medical student who
accidentally assumes the role of a Harley Street physician, and becomes
sort of trapped in the role. Anyway, there's a brilliant conversation in
which the young Indian gentleman tries to make conversation with a
middle-aged, blue-collar-type Englishman, during the course of which he
points out that many words commonly used in English are actually Hindi
words. He gives the example of "pajamas", and the Englishman, sensiong a
national slight, hotly denies that "pajamas" is anything other than a
perfectly ordinary English word. Our hero tells him, "Really, it's
common knowledge! Look in the O.E.D. if you don't believe me."

"It's a bloomin' _English_ word, mate!!!"

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com