SC - Re: Blanc Desire

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 9 05:19:31 PDT 1999

Heather Payton wrote:

> Being relatively new to the list I have finally gathered enough courage to
> speak out.
>
> I have a copy of a modern recipie for "blandissorye" from Pleyn Delit.  I
> don't know how helpful or accurate it is but, it's got to be a start.

It seems quite faithful to a somewhat evolved, or possibly regional
variant, original. As for the comments on yellow tones being
inconsistent with the name element "blanc", I'll simply point out many
blancmanger recipes also include saffron or other colorings.

> "Even the etymology of this dish is somewhat confusing, since many of the
> recipies include (as this one does) saffron, so that it is hardly 'blanc'.
> Most contain chicken meat rather than eggs and cheese, and are thickened
> with almonds and rice flour, using water rather than milk; many advise
> sweetening with sugar.  Anyone who wishes to try such varients is welcome,
> but we prefer this one.  If you wish to serve it as a thick sauce or side
> dish, use half the recommended amount of milk."

Hmmm. Maybe this is some kind of ember-day version? It uses no fish _or_
meat, but does include dairy products, so it seems unlikely as a Lenten
dish for the period. I'm trying to get it straight in my mind the
differences between the various types of meatless days, and I currently
have too much blood flowing through my veins along with the caffeine.
Need to take care of that and perhaps it'll become clearer.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com