SC -gelatinous properties, was chessboards

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 9 18:46:32 PDT 1999

>One of BEST reasons I can see for NOT pre-publishing such a set of
>documents is the simple reason that a lot of 'food bores' would use it >as a basis for not trying to educate their palettes but rather as a way >to avoid anything they might  find personally 'icky'. If it were only >used by those who  would die from eating something then fine. But using >it for anything else  like avoiding something he/she doesn't think they >like, or, worse yet, to avoid something that sounds 'icky' would be  >very selfish and dishonorable. And it would be used that way, have no >doubt about that...
Ras (maybe)

Well, that's the way it (icky) is. I printed out a number of copies of
the last menu I worked up, all ingredients and docs, and made them
available beforehand at the event. Putting a copy at troll is a
kindness, IMHO. They provided the food threatened, the new food
challenged and the merely curious alike with what they might wish to
know about the original recipes, and my redactions. The copies also all
went away by the end of feast (well, lunch in this case). I found that
to be entirely satisfactory. If someone has food phobias, I can wish to
educate them, but they need to put it in their mouths. If they liked
what they ate, there was how I did it. No surprises, no emergencies, no
upset feasters, at least in the sense of "I spent my good money, and I
couldn't eat a thing, (you jerk)". I even tested the food a few weeks in
advance on the toughest "I won't like this" person I knew (Saradwen). I
had to 'trick' her into not 'tasting', but 'judging', as I entered it as
a A&S entry at a Baronial event. She was pleasantly surprised, and I had
a verification of sorts that the food would work. Knowledge is good.
Catering to vegetarians would have been easy, but in my cae, it didn't
come up.
- --
Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe
- - Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
http://web.raex.com/~agincort