SC - Qyercyan? apple cake

LordVoldai@aol.com LordVoldai at aol.com
Sun May 9 21:32:06 PDT 1999

Ras said...
>So far as pre-posting menus/ing lists , etc., great but things do and can
>change at the last  second. So a preliminary copy is all that can or should
>be expected. The inclusion of any commercially prepared products when
making
>the dishes would make such such a list tentative at best.

Agreed, things can change at the last minute but I have as yet to experience
this. While these changes may in fact take place, it would then be up to the
server to be educated in this change and pass it on to the gentles they are
serving.

>One of BEST reasons I can see for NOT pre-publishing such a set of
documents
>is the simple reason that a lot of 'food bores' would use it as a basis for
>not trying to educate their palettes but rather as a way to avoid anything
>they might  find personally 'icky'. If it were only used by those who
would
>die from eating something then fine. But using it for anything else  like
>avoiding something he/she doesn't think they like, or, worse yet, to avoid
>something that sounds 'icky' would be  very selfish and dishonorable. And
it
>would be used that way, have no doubt about that.

You would have to agree that the "food bores" you are talking about would be
"food bores" whether there was a menu and ingredient list available or not.
I can remember countless times watching people ask the server for every
ingredient in a dish so that they can decide whether or not to touch it.
Stupid imo but true nonetheless. I still think that any education is good
education and feel it is our resposniblilty to make our craft more well know
(appreciated?) by whatever means nec. I still say that a captive audience is
better than none.

>I seriously doubt that such a policy would stop this recurring discussion.
At
>best , it provade a forum for discusion of the implimentation of even more
>rules and PC regulations by the BoD and local Kingdoms for inclusion in
their
>already bulging rule book. To formulate rules on the basis of statistically
>insignificant happenings and the requests of special interest individuals
is
>ludicrous, IMO, ands serves no useful function. Preventing an imagined
future
>happening is not a reason to do so. ( A person who wants to be both safe
and
>free deserves neither safety nor freedom-see T. Jefferson).

I feel that there are next to no rules, or at the very least, guidelines,
for the culinary arts in the sca. We are not as structured as say, heavy
weapons fighting, or whatever. If it was introduced that it was a neccessity
to provide ingredient lists with the stipulation that, of course, it MIGHT
change then it would cancel out, at least in part, those hordes of gentles
that badger a cook and allow the cook to get on with what we are here for.

>The bottom line is that if someone is so fearful of eating something for
>whatever reason, they can bring their own food, period. Any attempts to
place
>the responsibility on the cook is a cop out. SCA events are a forum for
>getting together and  playing the game. If your special physical
requirements
>don't allow you to play whatever part of the game is happening, don't play
>that part. This is true whether it be fighting or eating or anything else
>happening at an event..

VIVAT and thank you for that. As it was said earlier, we are not a
restaurant.

Micaylah