SC - RE a proper newe boke of Cookery

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Mon May 10 02:57:18 PDT 1999

	Someone asked about the honey- and this was the reply. Have fun!

'Lainie

Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 21:44:00 -0700
From: Vesta <vesta at internetcds.com>
To: Laura C Minnick <lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu>
Subject: Re: SC - bewined honey? honey with anise? (fwd)

Laura C Minnick wrote:
> Domina Vesta Antonia Aurelia when asked about her Libum loaves
> recipe, gave it. One of her comments was:
> > I served it with bewined honey, and honey with anise.
>
> Anyone know what "bewined" honey is? Is this honey with anise,
> honey that you soak anise seed? star anise? in for awhile? Or
> something bought already flavored?

Bewined honey:  Honey with wine.
One quart honey.  Add 1 cup dry white wine.  Mix 'til well blended.
Serve.

Honey with anise.
One quart honey.  2 Tablespoons anise.   Crush anise.   Heat over low
flame until honey smells strongly of anise.  Serve.

I pulled these combinations out of my.....ear. They have no basis in
Apicius, other than being ingredients available to the needy Roman
cook....

Vesta

- --
"In humo volvens ridensque magna voce felesque terrens"

Domina Vesta Antonia Aurelia          vesta at internetcds.com
An Tir -- Summits -- Cavernsgate
Speaking only for myself and my evil twin Skippy.