SC - Pigs, or whatever, for Pennsic

Terri Millette wayspiff at ici.net
Mon May 10 05:00:12 PDT 1999

> Seriously, though, Stefan, do cooks and servers in Ansteorra use a
> system other than having to keep track of which table gets three
> servings of each dish, while the others get five, except for the one
> that gets fourteen, and, by the way, Mistress Stickinthemud has moved to
> table eleven to schmooze with Lady Hoopdoodle, and would like her food
> brought there in future courses?
>
> Adamantius

Feasts are served in various ways in Ansteorra. Very often the "one person
from each table" method is used. Another way is that we get volunteers to
serve, give them half price and feed them first. Then we go and assign them
tables to which they are responsible. They get a headcount when they bring
out initial drinks and munchies and tell the head server how many they are
dealing with. With an organized head server this goes fairly well. I tend
to feed everyone on site with my feasts. I do this for two reasons, one it
is the Swede in me that demands I take care of all of my "guests" and the
other reason is that once I cooked a feast and then wound up feeding far more
than had paid.

We don't do "on-board" and "off-board" tables so much as the people who have
paid for feast get a different token and display that at their tables. People
hardly never pre-register here, they mainly show up at the door and take their
chances although that is beginning to change with the limited feasts being
served.

I do admit that with events seeming to get bigger each year I may have to
start limiting my "everyone gets to eat" meals. With the exception of a
Queen's dinner last summer that fed only around 20, my feasts have been
averaging around 400 people.

Oh, and if Mistress Stickinthemud leaves her place to go schmooze then her
food gets cold.

I hope this answers some of the questions.

Yours,

Gunthar
Who is thinking about maybe cooking again after he steps down in July and sleeps
for a month.