SC - Words of wisdom

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue May 11 06:59:17 PDT 1999

This whole thing is a good example of a big problem in our Web aware world.

The people who have put out the OED have to pay people to put things
together, to edit, and whatever. These people need to feed their families,
and therefore need to be paid. The fact of the matter is, while there is a
LOT of neat free information on the web, some of it is free because it's
stolen, and some of it's free because advertising pays for it, and some if
free because people want to get that information out there.

Some of it isn't free at all. That's life.

The Greenville County Library, which is NOT a great library by South Carolina
standards even, has a copy of the OED. I get my butt out of this chair and go
look at that hardcopy when I need to. Maybe someday I'll be comfortable
enough to own a set. For now, I can't pay, so I do the next best thing. Since
I want the Government to keep it's mitts off my life and money as much as
possible, I'm sure not going to yell that it should be free. If they can tell
the OED it has to work for nothing, then they can tell me the same.

Corwyn