SC - "personal recipies"

Dottie Elliott macdj at flash.net
Wed May 12 05:46:02 PDT 1999

So....to summarize, if I were to web the oed for my personal use[restericting
access by password or nonpublication of the web address, that way I can access it
from anywhere without having to lug the damned thing around] it is ok, and i can
let my list buddies have access to it[sort of an extension of it is in the room
and as a guest you have implied consent to access it even if i am not there] it
is ok for me to not charge to use it, but if i were the publishing company, and i
webbed it and let you access it for a happence a throw, that would be ok?

so what is the difference of the university webbing it for the students and not
letting you access it? They have no contractual or implied relationship with you
that would follow in the permissive use of you to use the oed online, you are not
student or faculty, nor has the sca got an arrangement with them for access.

Seems to me that if we want the oed online, we have to pony up and web it
ourselves, and restrict the use of it in some manner, we have to cut a deal with
the univcersity or we have to convince the oed publishers to web it on a pay per
use deal.
margali
[well, i do have a fair amount of webspace...]