SC - "personal recipies"

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed May 12 20:34:56 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/12/99 1:16:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
LordVoldai at aol.com writes:

<< 	while i am all for research into period cookery i find it insulting
 and _excessively_ compulsive (i'm all for being moderately ccompulsive) to
 insist that a recipe cannot be changed one iota.  redactions may inherently
 and sometimes intentionally inc  >>

First off a list of ingredients with assorted cooking methods of said
ingredients which do not any amounts specified seems to me to be a wide
enough field to be creative in without adding the prospect of  'changing' the
recipe. There is a vast difference between utilizing perogatives in a recipe
and substituing ingredients in a recipe that you are  recreating. The notion
of such substitutions is inherently  in opposition to the term re-creation.

<<lude substitutions or alterations from the
 original recipe. >>

The fact that a person choses to make substitutions and alterations in a
redaction in the current middle ages is not proof that that is what was done
then. The good intentions of the redactor are not a basis for declaring the
final creation period unless documentation can be shown that such
substituions and alterations were done in period with that recipe.

No it is not I who am insulting period cooks.; Quite the contrary. I am
giving them the benefit of the doubt that they served a recipe for spinach
with spinach in it instead of borage or whatever and wrote it down so others
would be able to do the same thing.

There are so many period recipes un-redacted that substuting ingredients is
not necessary. Simply use another recipe that uses the ingredients you have
available. The records we have  of recipes from period are for the wealthy or
the nobility. Had I hired a cook back then to make me  Cuskynoles and he
substituted strawberries for raisons, I would have seriously thought of
removing his body from his head. The society at that time simply did n ot
allow for the measure of freddom that you are suggesting period cooks in
noble households had.

Ras