SC - Inexpensive Spices re:Personal recipes

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 09:02:14 PDT 1999

Frederich said:

>We have several bulk food stores in the area in which to buy spices/
flours,
etc., at relatively cheap prices.  Its a matter of taking the time to drive
little to get there.<

Where I am, we have very few good places to buy spices nearby, other than
your very basic items. The nearest with some selection is about an hour
away, the best nearby is two hours away, and Frederich's area is about 4
hours away, BUT:

I have business in both of the former on a regular basis, and occasonally
visit friends up near Frederich, so with a little bit of pre-planning I can
get whatever I need or want.

Pre-planning is the key, I think. I have a friend who's spending the weekend
in Barcelona, Spain, and he's picking me up some Spanish saffron while he's
there. He's enough of a cook that I can trust his judgement.

Don't know about the rest of you, but because of the difficulty in getting
to civilization, I generally keep a good supply of spices and herbs on hand,
kept in a cool, dark cubboard, or perhaps, in some cases, baggies in the
freezer. Buy when you can afford to, then keep the stuff sealed away.

Phlip

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig