SC - OT (slightly) - food allergies

Peters, Rise J. rise.peters at spiegelmcd.com
Thu May 13 10:00:10 PDT 1999

> >So is this completely useless and should be thrown out?
>
> No. But it is probably farther from a period meal than you could have
> produced.

Yup.  Unfortunately, of the list of possible dishes that I had worked out, the Cook
tagged two of the *least* genuinely period.

> Your first recipe, so far as I can tell by your comments, you got by first
> deciding what you wanted to make and then trying to find something period
> somewhat like that.

Actually it was from reading the Florilegium, saying "hey, that looks good," and
dropping it onto my list.  It was only AFTER it was assigned as one of my recipes that
I noticed I'd descirbed the undocumented version.  (and that the period verison
requires blown egg-shells--one of those things I just can't do!)

> Here again, although to a lesser extent, you seem to be starting with something
> you want to make (cheesecake with strawberries--a very common modern
> desert) and then looking for period justification, instead of starting at
> the other end.

<wince>It does look like that, doesn't it?  Actaully, it wasn't so at all; I started
with "I want to make that *fabulous* cheesecake I had at Seven Deadly Sins."  (which I
knew was period), and then, being the sort of person I am, wanting to dress it up.
What can you do to a cheescake?  Umm...the badge of AEthelmearc?  I spent several
weeks trying to figure out how to make it red (strawberries were neither my first nor
my only idea, just the most practical) and how to draw the escarbunle (sugar?
Stencil?) and as soon as I described it to Aoife she said "whipped cream, of course."
Right... cheesecake with strawberries and whipped cream.  Sigh.

I'm not particularly happy with what I came up with (though the cheescakes do look
divine and taste better!) but, it is my first time, and I did try.  Next time, better!

On the bright side, the jellied eggs do seem inclied to jell.  PHEW!  Nothing like
testing recipies at the last minute!

Yours,
Alethea