SC - Inexpensive Spices re:Personal recipes

Shari Burnham sburnham at metromls.com
Thu May 13 12:08:14 PDT 1999

I don't believe this is correct.  The primary _written_ source
is the manuscript.  What is published in "Cury on Inglysch" is
a _transcription_, that is a word-for-word re-writing of the
original source.  In my mind, it is still a primary source.  If we
were talking about Platina or Chiquart, where the original is in
another language, then you would be dealing with a translation
of a primary source.  In my understanding a secondary literary
source is a commentary on the primary source, like Scully's
"Art of Medieval Cooking," where he discusses the themes and
similarities of a variety of primary sources.  A tertiary source
would be something like an SCA publication that references
the Scully book.

Personally, for cooking I feel these distinctions are pretty
artificial.  If you can trace your recipe back to an original
period source, and you explain your process (and any substitutions
you made) you've done a good job for an A&S competition.