SC - Inexpensive Spices re:Personal recipes

William Seibert a14h at zebra.net
Thu May 13 19:53:38 PDT 1999

In a message dated 5/13/99 5:56:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
HICKS_M at casa.gov.au writes:

<< Although this sounds really delicious, does anyone actually have recipes or
 references to medieval/renaissance cooks flavoring butters in this manner? >>

Flavored butters are OOP SFAIK.

Locally, THL Thorstein and myself have taken to leaving butter out of the
feast entirely as a spread. The first time I did it 2 people asked where the
butter was and I explained that the bread was meant to be eaten as is or to
be used as a sop. No problem. The last time there was no inquries. THL
Thorstein at Will's left out butter but the ppor misguided soul who had put
herself in charge of serving High Table  came back and insisted on a stick of
butter for the King. Both I and the Kitchen Steward  explained that none was
on the menu.  She insisted that He had to have butter. Inquiry showed that he
had not asked for it. I then firmly explained that we do not serve special
food to high table and she snatched a stick of butter and ran from the
kitchen with it anyway. I guess it takes all types to make the world go
round. ;-)

Ras